Caramelized Scallion Mashed Potatoes
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Paul Grimes
A long, slow turn in a bath of rich butter completely transforms the scallions, making these mashed potatoes into something special.
- 5 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 bunches scallions, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Put potatoes in a large heavy pot with enough cold, well-salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer and simmer potatoes until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While potatoes simmer, cook scallions in 1 stick of butter in a large heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until scallions are deep golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, then return to cooking pot with remaining 4 tablespoons butter and half-and-half, then mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Stir in scallions with melted butter, salt, and pepper and serve.