Cauliflower Bloody Brains
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Tender, steamed cauliflower drizzled with a striking beet-red vinaigrette really completes the Halloween dinner plate. This just might be the dish that convinces your little goblins to dive into their vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. with rack in middle.
- Tightly wrap beets in double layers of aluminum foil, making 2 packages. Roast on a baking sheet until tender, about 1 1/4 hours, then cool until warm in foil.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and oil in a medium bowl. Slip skins from warm beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss with vinaigrette and let stand 30 minutes so beets transfer their color into vinaigrette.
- Fill a pot with 1 inch of salted water and bring to a boil. Trim greens from cauliflower, then trim only enough core to leave cauliflower intact. Simmer cauliflower, stem side up, covered, 5 minutes. Turn over, then sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and steam, covered, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a serving plate, then spoon beets around with a slotted spoon and drizzle cauliflower and beets with vinaigrette.
- Make ahead: Beets and vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.