Cauliflower Puree and Spinach Lasagna
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Ian Knauer
Leftover cauliflower puree stands in for bechamel sauce in this lasagne and -- surprise -- it might just taste better than the original.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups leftover cauliflower puree (see below)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add the spinach and saute, turning with tongs, until spinach is wilted and all the liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Reserve spinach.
- Stir together cauliflower puree, milk, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Spread about 1/2 cup puree over bottom of a 2-quart baking dish, then place 1 layer of noodles over puree, leaving some space between noodles. Repeat layering puree and noodles in same manner, finishing with a layer of puree. Spread spinach evenly over lasagna, then sprinkle evenly with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, until lasagna is bubbling and browned on top, about 45 minutes.
- Related recipe: Cauliflower Puree with Toasted Pine Nuts