Cheese Blintzes with Cherry Sauce
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen pitted cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice or water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Batter Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 pound farmer or pot cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Additional Ingredients:
- extra butter for cooking
- sour cream for garnish
- First prepare the cherry sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cherries, sugar and 1/3 cup orange juice or water to a boil, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, combine until smooth the 2 tablespoons juice or water and cornstarch; stir this mixture into the cherries. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the blintz batter, sift together the flour and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Add the flour mixture slowly to the egg mixture, and beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, farmer cheese, egg, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a small saute pan or crepe pan and brush lightly with melted butter. Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1/4 cup. Cook until firm (do NOT flip -- only brown one side), and remove to a clean cutting board. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Fill each crepe on the browned side with 1/4 cup of filling. Fold in the sides to cover the filling, then roll up the remaining sides to close.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoon butter. Brown the blintzes seam-side down for about 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. If necessary, cook in batches.
- Serve with the cherry sauce and sour cream, if desired.