Cherry Balsamic Sauce
Provided by: Northwest Cherries
The long wait is over. Summer has arrived and with it comes the bounty of Northwest fresh sweet cherries. Bursting with flavor, nature's plump gems of red and gold are now available in the produce section of your favorite grocery store. And while most cherries are savored, eaten out-of-hand, they are a flavorful addition to many of your favorite recipes. While cherry salads and desserts are high on the list, don't leave out the main dish. The best complement to a great piece of meat is one that does not mask its flavor but adds to the complexity of the dish. Cherry Balsamic Sauce is a flavor enhancer when used as a marinade and an excellent sauce to serve with a favorite grilled entrée. Brush a steak, chicken or fish with Cherry Balsamic Sauce before grilling and serve additional sauce alongside as an accompaniment. Then sit back and bask in praises of a memorable meal. Summer is a time for creating fond memories and food is a trigger to some of the best times spent with friends and family. Remember the season for Northwest fresh sweet cherries is short so enjoy it to the fullest while it's here. When the cherries are gone, you'll have to wait a whole year to enjoy them once more.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped Northwest fresh sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon each chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved Northwest fresh sweet cherries
- Mix vinegar and olive oil; reduce mixture to 1/2 cup. Add chopped cherries, mustard, sugar, herbs, salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Reserve half of sauce for marinade. Add halved cherries to remaining sauce; return mixture to a boil and simmer about 1 minute. Serve with grilled meat, poultry, or fish.
- For steaks: Brush 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of beef steak with reserved Cherry-Balsamic Sauce and let stand at least 30 minutes before grilling. Serve with Cherry Balsamic Sauce.