Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Kate Slate
total prep 292 calories/serving
This five-ingredient recipe is easily doubled to serve more people, but when you poach the chicken, switch the saucepan to a large skillet to accommodate the larger amount of chicken in a single layer. Ingredient #6: Although this is a "Just 5 Ingredients" recipe, if you went for one more ingredient, it could be either sliced scallions added to the salad or a bed of watercress to serve the salad on.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 large (1 pound) sweet potato
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken (in one layer), salt, and water to just cover (about 3 cups). Bring to a low boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until mostly cooked through but still pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit in the cooking water for 5 minutes. Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, microwave the sweet potato on high power for 6 to 7 minutes, or until firm-tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pesto, vinegar, and reserved cooking water.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken, sweet potato, and bell pepper with the pesto dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit for a couple of minutes to absorb the dressing.