Provided by: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Such a comforting saucy dish to accompany buttered noodles.
- 1 (3 - to 4-lb) chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- Accompaniment: cooked white rice or buttered noodles
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle on all sides with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart pressure cooker pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken in 2 batches, turning over once, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any brown bits, until onion and garlic about 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer, until liquid is reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice and chicken, then cover and bring to high pressure (according to manufacturer's directions). Reduce heat to maintain high pressure and cook until chicken is tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer pot to sink and run cold water on pot to quick release pressure.