Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Much of the work is eliminated in this version of a classic by purchasing packaged sliced mushrooms. Served over buttered noodles, this creamy dish will become your new comfort food.
- 1 pound sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups boneless skinless rotisserie chicken pieces
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cook mushrooms and onion in 3 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and reserve skillet for making sauce.
- Cook pasta in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until tender. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water and drain noodles. Toss noodles with 2 Tbsp butter in a bowl.
- While pasta is cooking melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over medium low heat, then stir in flour and cook roux, stirring up brown bits, 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste until well combined, then add stock and bring to a boil, stirring. Add mushroom mixture and simmer 2 minutes, then gently stir in chicken, scallions, sour cream, 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and salt and pepper to taste. (Do not let boil.) Serve chicken over noodles.