Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes with Cocoa Whipped Cream
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water plus 2 teaspoons of instant coffee stirred in
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- FOR COCOA WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 18 dark chocolate covered espresso beans, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, coffee, oil and vanilla with a whisk. Then add sugar. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add in dry ingredients to wet mixture then stir in sour cream.
- Line two standard muffin tins with cupcake liners. Divide batter evenly amongst liners then bake in oven until a cake tester comes out clean - about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set on racks to cool.
- Make cocoa whipped cream: Whip cream with a whisk until it forms soft peaks. Sift in confectioners sugar and cocoa powder then gently whisk together to combine until firm peaks form - the color will be a grainy cocoa color as the cocoa doesn't dissolve straight away.
- When cupcakes are cool, drop a dollop of cocoa whipped cream on top of each cupcake. Garnish each with a dark chocolate covered espresso bean.