New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
This layered confection is perfect for entertaining, as it's both impressive and easy to make. If you're short on time, you can buy a pre-made pound cake to make things even simpler.
- FOR POUND CAKE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- FOR TRIFLE:
- 1 1/3 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 container (14 ounces) melted but cool premium vanilla bean ice cream
- 13 ounces chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella, warmed in microwave
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Garnish: cocoa and coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts for sprinkling
- MAKE POUND CAKE:
Preheat oven to 325F with rack in middle. Butter and lightly flour an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Transfer batter to pan, smoothing top. Bake until golden-brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan 30 minutes, then invert cake onto a rack and cool completely, right side up, 1 hour.
- MAKE TRIFLE:
Combine heavy cream and ice cream in a large ice cold bowl, then beat with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Put one-third of cake cubes in the bottom of a 6- to 8-quart trifle dish or bowl. Pour over one-third of chocolate-hazelnut mixture, then top each with one-third whipped-cream mixture. Repeat with remaining cake, chocolate-hazelnut mixture and cream, ending with cream.
- Chill, loosely covered with plastic wrap, at least 8 hours for flavors to develop.