Provided by: Taste Editors
Recipe courtesy of Austrian Desserts and Pastries by Dietmar Fercher and Andrea Karrer/Skyhorse Publishing, 2011.
- 1 1/8 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups flour, sifted with 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp of cocoa
- FILLING (PARIS CREAM)
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 1/2 cup couverture
- chocolate, chopped
- FILLING: Boil cream, add chocolate, and blend. Place in a shallow dish and chill. The mixture should not be completely solid; it should still be pourable and smooth.
- KRAPFERLN: Stir butter at room temperature with powdered sugar until very fluffy. Stir together eggs with vanilla sugar and salt and gradually stir into the butter mixture. Finally, carefully mix in the cocoa-flour.
- Fill batter into a pastry bag with a fluted tip (1/32/5 inch [810mm] diameter) and pipe Krapferln onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Fill Paris cream filling into a pastry bag with a serrated tip and top 1/2 the quantity of Krapferln. Place the remaining Krapferln on top.
- TIP: If desired, decorate with white chocolate and pistachios.