Chocolate Lava Cakes
Provided by: Taste Editors
Recipe from Booze Cakes by Krystina Castella and Terry Lee Stone/Quirk Books, 2010.
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons port wine
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- FOR FINISH:
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven 375F. Grease and flour one large 6-cup muffin or cupcake pan or six (3/4-to 1-cup capacity) ramekins or custard cups.
- Microwave chocolate and butter 2 minutes, or until the butter is melted. Stir and heat again until chocolate is melted completely and both are combined. Stir in eggs yolks, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and port. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining sugar and cocoa. IN a mixing bowl, beat eggs whites until foamy. Gradually add about 2 tablespoons of the sugar and cocoa, beating until soft peaks form. Gently fold the chocolate and sugar-cocoas mixtures into the egg whites in three alternating additions.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake 10 to 12 minutes. The edges will be firm, but the centers will be a bit liquid. Cool 3 minutes before serving.
- Run a knife around the edges. Invert onto serving plates and top with ice cream or a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.