Cilantro and Avocado Pesto
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 1 1/2 cups (lightly packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grind the cilantro, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and garlic with a mortar and pestle until a smooth paste forms. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, a food processor instead. Slowly add the olive oil, grinding until a smooth sauce forms. Add the avocado and grind until smooth and fully mixed into the sauce. Season the pesto to taste with the lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pesto and refrigerate until ready to serve.