Cilantro Spice Yogurt Dip with Pita Strips and Vegetables
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Cooling, tangy yogurt is the base of this dip, but cilantro, cumin, and chile spice things up nicely. If you have some handy, cardamom adds extra dimension.
- FOR DIP:
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (3-inch) serrano or jalapeno chile, chopped, including seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- FOR ACCOMPANIMENTS:
- 6 (6-inch) pita loaves with pockets
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large carrots
- 1/2 pound broccolini or broccoli florets
- Make dip: Puree cilantro with all dip ingredients except yogurt in a blender, stirring down side occasionally, until smooth. Stir puree into yogurt with salt to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil if desired.
- Make accompaniments: Preheat oven to 375F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Split pitas to make 12 rounds. Stir together butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then lightly brush on rough sides of pitas. Cut pitas into 1/2-inch-wide strips and arrange on 2 baking sheets. Bake, switching positions of sheets halfway through baking, until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Have a bowl of ice water ready. Peel carrots using a wide u-shape vegetable peeler, then place carrots on a work surface and shave long strips. Roll up each strip into a curl, then secure with a toothpick and place in ice water until they hold their shape, about 1 hour. (Alternately, carrots can be cut into sticks.)
- If using broccolini, peel stem using a vegetable peeler. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Cook broccolini or broccoli in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes, then transfer to ice water to stop cooking. Drain well.
- Serve dip with pita strips and vegetables.
- Make ahead: Pita strips can be made 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Dip can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled. Vegetables can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep carrot curls in ice water and broccolini or broccoli in damp paper towels in a plastic bag. Just before serving drain carrot curls and discard toothpicks.