Creamy Seafood Risotto
Provided by: Food&Wine
- 3 cup(s) bottled clam juice
- 2 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) arborio rice, 10 ounces
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup(s) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 pound(s) cooked shrimp, cut into thirds
- 1/2 pound(s) lump crab meat, picked over
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup(s) mascarpone cheese
- 1. In a medium saucepan, combine the clam broth and water and bring to a simmer. Keep warm.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to thoroughly coat. Crumble the saffron into the wine and add it to the rice. Cook, stirring until the wine is absorbed. Add 1 cup of the warm clam juice and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the juice 1/2 cup at a time, and stirring constantly until it is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 20 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and crab and cook until just heated through. Scrape the seafood into the risotto and stir in the parsley and mascarpone. Serve immediately.