Double Chocolate Tart
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
What's not to love about a gooey brownie filling surrounded by a crisp chocolate cookie crust? A drizzle of white chocolate over the top adds another layer of indulgence.
- 28 chocolate wafers such as Nabisco Famous, finely ground in a food processor (1 1/2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled completely
- 3 (3-ounce) bars fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- Equipment: 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom
- TO MAKE CRUST:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350F.
- Stir together ground wafers and butter in a bowl until combined, then pat mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of tart pan. Bake until crust is slightly puffed, about 10 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack, about 15 minutes. Leave oven on.
- FILLING (make while crust cools):
Melt chocolate in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth, then remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined well.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE TART:
Pour filling into cooled crust. Bake until filling 1 inch from edge is set and slightly puffed but center trembles slightly when pan is gently shaken, 20 to 25 minutes. (Center will continue to set as it cools.)
- Cool tart completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Chill, uncovered, until center is firm, about 4 hours. Remove side of pan.
- Microwave white chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 1 minute. Drizzle chocolate over top of cooled tart and chill until set, about 10 minutes.
- Make ahead: Tart can be up to 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.