Easy Refried Beans
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 266 calories/serving
Mix and match refried beans with other fillings or serve it alone. Any leftovers are great with fried eggs for breakfast.
- 1 cup chopped onion, preferably white skinned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or mild olive oil
- 2 cans cooked black or pinto beans, including juice
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (3 ounces)
- Accompaniment: 20 to 24 small warm tortillas, guacamole
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beans, including juice, and tomato and cook over medium-high heat, stirring and mashing beans with a fork or bean masher until bubbling and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in salt and cilantro.
- Put beans in a wide serving dish and sprinkle feta cheese over it.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas to make tacos.
- Nutrition Note: the nutrition information for this recipe is for 2 tortillas and 1/4 cup beans.