Eggplant and Provolone Panini
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
You don't need to have panini press to give an Italian twist to these grilled cheese sandwiches. The marinated eggplant and arugula deliver a piquant counterpoint to the mellow provolone. Serve with a bowl of minestrone.
- 8 center slices from a round loaf of Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 4 ounces bottled marinated eggplant, drained well
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Heat a 12-inch heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron over medium-low flame until hot.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with oil. Make 4 sandwiches on the unoiled sides, starting with cheese, then eggplant and arugula, then cheese.
- Put 2 sandwiches, at a time, in skillet and put another skillet with a 2-lb weight (a large can of tomatoes, e.g.) on top. Cook until paninis are browned on bottom, 3 minutes, then remove skillet and weight, turn with a spatula and replace skillet with weight. Cook until underside is browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Make 2 more panini in same manner.