Eggplant Rolls with Red Bell Peppers and Hummus
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Diane Forley
total prep 260 calories/serving
Serve these rolls with olives, crudités, breadsticks and wedges of cheese as part of an antipasto platter. Extra filling can be used as a dip.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips, 16 pieces
- 1 box alfalfa sprouts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove ends of eggplant. Using a serrated knife, slice eggplant, length wise to form 1/2 inch thick slices, about 8 depending on the size of the eggplant. Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake eggplant until eggplant is lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Flip onto other side to bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 1 inch cubes and mix with yogurt in a small bowl. Set aside to soften. In a blender or food processor, puree hummus with yogurt and bread mixture, lemon juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Place eggplant slices on a cutting board. Place 2 Tablespoons of the hummus spread on the short end of the eggplant slice. Place a small handful of sprouts and 2 pepper strips on one end and begin to roll. Continue to roll eggplant until the end is reached.
- To form bite size pieces, cut in half to form two short rolls. Secure with toothpick and serve.