Provided by: Taste Editors
- 2 fennel bulbs (about 2 pounds), fronds trimmed and reserved
- 2 1/2 cups olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Trim the base of the fennel and remove all dark and light green parts down to the white bulb. Slice each bulb in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into 4 wedges and remove the cores.
- Lay the wedges on a rimmed baking sheet and add olive oil to a depth of 1/4 inch. Sprinkle each wedge with a pinch each of salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Top each with about 1 teaspoon of Parmesan.
- Bake until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the oil until just warm. Using a slotted metal spatula, transfer the fennel to plates and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.
- Prep Ahead: You can make this 1 hour ahead because it needs to cool until just warm. It tastes great cold, too.