French 75 Cocktail
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
A bit of controversy surrounds the origins of this gin cocktail, but whether its city of birth was Paris or New Orleans, this is a drink meant for celebrations. It's light, fizzy, and festive.
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) dry gin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Chilled champagne or other dry sparkling wine
- Cracked ice
- Garnish: lemon slice
- Equipment: a cocktail shaker and strainer; a 16-ounce highball glass
- Half fill the cocktail shaker with cracked ice, then add gin, lemon juice, and sugar. Shake the mixture vigorously, then strain it into a highball glass packed with cracked ice. Fill the glass slowly with champagne and give it a stir.