Fudgy Brownie Heart Cake with Pink Whipped Cream
Elizabeth Hait, AOL
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
- For cake:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the cream:
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Garnish: fresh raspberries
- Equipment: a 9-inch heart-shaped baking pan
- Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle. Butter pan and line with parchment paper, then butter paper.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool, 5 minutes. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until mixture is glossy and smooth.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt, then whisk into chocolate mixture until combined.
- Spread in pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with crumbs, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack and discard paper. Cool completely, then transfer to a plate.
- Make whipped cream:
Whip cream with sugar, extract, and coloring with an electric mixer just until soft peaks form and spread on top of cake.
- Garnish with raspberries.
- Make ahead: Cake with cream can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled, covered.