Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 49 calories/serving
- Turkey giblets (heart, liver, gizzard), chopped, and turkey neck, left whole
- 141/2 oz each) 100 % fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 rib celery with leaves, cut in thirds
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in thirds
- 1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups de-fatted drippings from roast turkey
- 1/2 cup each cornstarch and cold water
- Put giblets and neck in a heavy 3-qt saucepan. Add chicken broth, onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper, then cool water to cover (pan should be about 3⁄4 full).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and, stirring occasionally, simmer 4 hours, until broth is flavorful. Pour through a strainer into a 2-qt saucepan (you should have a little over 4 cups). Remove neck (save neck meat for another use or nibble and enjoy). Cover saucepan and refrigerate overnight (see Tip).
- About 1⁄2 hour before serving: Remove solidified fat from top of gelled broth and add drippings. Bring to a gentle boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into broth and, stirring gently, cook 4 to 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until serving.
- PLANNING TIP: The vegetables can be cut up to 3 days ahead. Bag together and refrigerate. Prepare the gravy through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Proceed with Step 3 after turkey has roasted and is resting.