Ginger Berry Crisp
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
There's nothing like a bubbling fruit crisp to end a meal, and this version gets extra credit points for the generous amount of toasted walnuts in the topping.
- FOR TOPPING:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (about 6 ounces), chopped and toasted
- FOR FILLING:
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (about 24 ounces)
- 6 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (about 24 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F with rack in middle. Lightly butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Make topping: Pulse together flour, oatmeal, sugars, ginger, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and blend until mixture is combined well. Transfer to a bowl and work in nuts with your hands.
- Make filling: Toss together gently berries and sugar and transfer to baking pan. Coarsely crumble topping evenly over berries and bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes (50 to 55 minutes if using frozen berries).
- Make ahead: Topping can be made 1 week ahead and kept chilled in a sealable plastic bag. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes to soften.