Glazed Almond and Cinnamon Coffee Cake
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
Aromatic, with a touch of spice, this rich coffee cake will become a family favorite. And it's perfect for those who like to plan ahead, since it tastes even better if made the day before.
- FOR CAKE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped (3 oz)
- FOR GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 drop pure almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped (3/4 oz)
- TO MAKE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle of oven. Butter and flour a 6-cup bundt pan or a 9-inch square baking pan, knocking out excess flour.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles oatmeal. Stir in egg, buttermilk, and extracts just until flour mixture is moistened. Stir in almonds and spread batter evenly in cake pan.
- Bake until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out dry, about 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack, 20 minutes, then invert onto a rack and cool completely.
- TO MAKE GLAZE:
Stir together confectioners' sugar, cream, and extracts until smooth and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with almonds.