GLAZED CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
If you like chocolate, you'll love this cake. It is definitely worth the preparation time.
- 1 3/4 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO all-vegetable shortening (1-3/4 Butter Flavor Stick)
- 3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO all-vegetable shortening or 1/4 Butter Flavor Crisco stick
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- For cake, heat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan.
- Combine 1-3/4 cups shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 6 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Mix in dry ingredients alternately with milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spoon into pan.
- Bake at 325ºF for 75 to 85 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes. Invert onto serving dish. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening and corn syrup in top part of double boiler over hot, not boiling water. Stir until just melted and smooth. Cool slightly. (Or place mixture in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 50% [Medium] for 1 minute 15 seconds. Stir. Repeat at 15 second intervals, if necessary, until just melted and smooth. Cool slightly.) Spoon over cake. Let stand until glaze is firm.