Grandma's Roast Beef
Provided by: Taste Editors
Recipe courtesy of Rotis: Roasts for Every Day of the Week by Stephane Reynaud/Melville House Publishing, 2011.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Add the potato, carrot, shallot and garlic cloves, and sauté over medium heat. Add the thyme and bay leaf, cover, then cook, stirring regularly, for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 3/4 oz (50 g) of the butter in a flameproof roasting tin. Add the beef and brown on all sides over high heat. Transfer to the oven and roast the beef for 20 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the oven and allow the beef to rest in its juices, covered with foil, for 10 minutes. Don’t turn the oven off.
- Transfer the roast onto a carving board.
- Deglaze the roasting tin with white wine, scraping the bottom of the tin well, then mix in the remaining butter into the juices to a smooth and creamy consistency. Add the vegetables to the roasting tin, then return to the oven to cook for 5 minutes, before serving with the roast.