Green Apple and Basil Granita
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Guests will welcome this refreshing granita after a heavy Thanksgiving meal. Fresh basil lends vibrant green color and a light herbaceous note.
- 1 (1,000-mg) tablet vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- 4 Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- Equipment: cheesecloth
- Crush vitamin C tablet in a bowl with back of a spoon, then line a sieve with a dampened triple-layer of cheesecloth and set over bowl.
- Puree apples with water in a food processor (do not use a blender) until almost smooth, then pour into cloth. Bunch up cloth around mixture and squeeze as much clear juice as possible through cloth. Discard solids remaining in cloth.
- Puree basil with sugar until it is deep green, then add apple juice and puree until combined. Freeze mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish, scraping and stirring with a fork every 30 minutes, until frozen, at least 3 hours. (It will be too hard to scrape once fully frozen.)
- Make ahead: Granita can be made 2 days ahead (cover once frozen). Let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes and re-scrape before serving.