Grilled Chicken Cutlet with Middle Eastern Spice Rub and Baby Greens
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 t whole coriander seeds
- 1/4 t whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 t whole fennel seeds
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/8 t turmeric powder
- sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 4 t olive oil
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon
- 3 T fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 cups mixed baby salad greens
- On a clean work surface stack four 12-inch-square sheets of plastic wrap.
- Place 1 chicken breast on the stacked plastic sheets.
- Cover the chicken with another stack of plastic wrap.
- Using a meat mallet lightly pound the chicken breast until it is thinned to about a 1/4 inch thickness being careful not to rip or tear the chicken breast.
- Remove the pounded chicken breast and repeat with the second chicken breast.
- Toast the coriander seeds cumin seeds and fennel seeds in a heavy small sauté pan over medium-high heat until the spices begin to pop shaking the pan gently to jostle the spices in the skillet about 2 minutes.
- Using a Bump and Grind or another mortar and pestle grind the toasted spices into a powder. Mix in the cayenne pepper and turmeric.
- Preheat a barbecue for medium-high heat or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Season 1 side of each pound chicken breast generously with the spice mixture and sprinkle with salt.
- Drizzle with some of the olive oil and rub the spice mixture to coat the entire top surface of the chicken breasts.
- Lay the chicken spiced side down on the grill. Immediately sprinkle the second side of the chicken breasts with the remaining spices and with salt.
- Drizzle with the remaining oil and rub the spice mixture over the top of each chicken breast.
- Grill until brown grill marks form and the chicken is just cooked through about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to 2 plates and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Yogurt Sauce
- Combine the cucumber yogurt and garlic in a small mixing bowl.
- Using a Microplane rasp grater grate the peel from half of the lemon into the yogurt mixture then squeeze about 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice into the yogurt mixture.
- Add the cilantro and stir to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound the greens in 2 serving bowls then top with the chicken.
- Alternatively mound the salad alongside the chicken on plates.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Visit http://curtisstone.com.