Grilled Zucchini and Summer Squash with Avocado
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced lengthwise into 4 long pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 4 long pieces
- 10 spears baby asparagus, woody stem ends trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into a medium dice
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Preheat the barbecue or grill pan with medium-high heat. Season the squash, zucchini, and asparagus lightly with salt and pepper, and brush lightly with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Grill the zucchini and squash for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, and the asparagus for about 2 minutes total, or until they are slightly charred and cooked through. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Cut the asparagus spears in half and cut the zucchini and squash on the bias into large bite-size pieces.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and the remaining 3 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium bowl to blend. Add half of the avocado and toss to coat, breaking up the avocado pieces slightly. Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the grilled vegetables in a large bowl with the arugula and the remaining avocado. Toss the salad with the dressing to coat. Mound the salad on a large serving platter and serve immediately.