Provided by: Shane Kelly
total prep 374 calories/serving
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet sausage links, meat removed from casing
- 1 5-ounce container baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- 6 free range organic large eggs
- In a medium saucepan combine the grits, water and vinegar and stir well. Put a lid on the grits mixture and place it on the counter and let grits soak for 7 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring the grits to a boil, whisking, until thickened and tender about 10 minutes. Whisk in milk, salt and cheese, until hot and keep warm, covered.
- Cook sausage, in a large non-stick skillet, over moderate heat, breaking it up with a wooded spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Reserve skillet and transfer sausage to a bowl and keep warm, covered.
- Cook spinach in reserved skillet, stirring constantly, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Reserve skillet and transfer to bowl with sausage and keep warm covered.
- Add oil to skillet and cook eggs over moderately low heat, until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes, for sunny-side up eggs.
- Divide grits among serving bowls and top with sausage, spinach and eggs.
- Note: The nutrition information for this recipe does not include the optional grated cheese.