Ground Beef and Vegetable Pies with Parmesan Crust
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups diced white button mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup freshly grated packaged mozzarella cheese
- 1 16 oz packet phyllo pastry
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan heat 2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over high heat. Add ground beef and break up into pieces with a wooden spoon as it browns. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, onion, mushroom, and carrot to pan then cook for 6-7 minutes until tender.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir well. Deglaze with stock and stir until liquid thickens. Gently simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Add peas then season with Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Shut off heat and cool completely.
- Using four 8-10oz ramekins or individual baking dishes, divide mixture evenly then top with 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Brush each layer of thawed phyllo with melted butter. Stack up 5 sheets on top of one another finishing with a layer of butter. Cut four 4x4-inch squares out of the layered stack. Gently place a square of phyllo inside the ramekin on top of the beef and cheese filling. Crimp the edges of the pastry so it is neatly tucked in around the edges of the dish (it should have a free form look to it). Use the tip of a knife to pierce 1 small hole in the middle of the pastry so steam can escape. Sprinkle a little Parmesan over the top of each pie. Place ramekins on a sheet tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until tops are golden brown.