Healthy Banana Bread
Provided by: Jennifer Iserloh
total prep 150 calories/serving
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup low fat (1 percent) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water or carrot juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup finely crushed high fiber cereal flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 1-pound loaf pan or three mini loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the egg whites and banana, mixing well after each addition. Add the water or carrot juice and vanilla extract. Beat for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Sprinkle the flour, crushed cereal (you can achieve a fine grind by using a food processor to grind the cereal), baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir by hand with a wooden spoon until the flour is just incorporated, about 10 turns. Do not over mix.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf. Remove from the oven and rest in pan for 5 minutes on the counter top. Remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled, wrap tightly in wax paper and foil. The texture of the bread becomes moister if left in the fridge overnight or for up to 2 days.