Horchata (Mexican Milkshake)
Provided by: Allison Fishman
The technique of pureeing rice or nuts with water is how you make rice milk and almond milk. Horchata is a combination of the two. Watch a video demonstration of How to Make Horchata (Mexican Milkshake) in our Shake It Up video series.
- Combine rice, almonds, sugar, vanilla, a pinch of cinnamon and 4 cups water in a blender. Blend until the rice and almonds are completely pulverized, about a minute.
- Strain through a mesh strainer. Serve over ice and garnish with cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg.
- TIP: Spike the shakes with amaretto or spiced rum.
- TIP: Try this drink warm in the winter, with a little brandy.
- TIP: If you can’t find whole blanched almonds, use slivered almonds. Just be sure to find almonds without skin.