Hot Fast-Roast Chicken and Eggplant on Greens
Provided by: TASTE
The greens will begin to wilt from the heat of the chicken and, best of all, absorb the flavors of the chicken and eggplant.
- 1 2 1/2-pound free-range chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium yellow or zuchinni squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1 package rocket, arugula, baby spinach or watercress or a combination thereof
- 2 lemons halved
- flaky salt, such as Maldon
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Cut out the backbone of the chicken (freeze it for stock). Wash the chicken then dry well. Open out and give it a good thump to flatten. Mix the olive oil with the garlic, oregano and some seasoning, then set aside.
- Arrange overlapping slices of eggplant in an oiled roasting pan. Season and moisten with olive oil. Place the prepared chicken, skin side up, over the eggplant. Gently lift the skin, snipping with scissors to loosen, if necessary. Pour over the flavored oil and rub into the flesh. Rub any leftover oil into the skin. Season lightly with flaky salt.
- Roast for 40 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Quarter the chicken then spoon the chicken and eggplant over piles of greens moistened with lemon juice and seasoned to taste.