Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 69 calories/serving
- 1 can (19 ounces) chick-peas, reserve 1 tablespoon liquid, then rinse and drain
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dark Oriental sesame oil
- 2 medium-size cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt
- Garnish: olive oil, paprika and minced parsley
- In a food processor or blender, process chick-peas, reserved liquid and remaining ingredients until well blended, but chick-peas are only coarsely chopped.
- Scrape into a bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and paprika and parsley. Serve with pita wedges.
- This Middle-Eastern chick-pea purée is usually made with tahini (sesame paste) that’s loaded with fat. We’ve cut the fat by using a small amount of intensely flavored dark Oriental sesame oil instead. Serve as a dip with grilled or broiled pita as an appetizer or snack.
- TO GRILL OR BROIL PITA: Lightly spray both sides of 6- to 8-inch pitas with nonstick cooking spray. Place 4 to 6 inches from heat source and cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until slightly charred. Cut each pita in 6 wedges.