Italian Sausage and Chickpea Stew over Barley
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Chickpeas do double-duty by stretching the sausage and thickening the stew in this easy supper. Barley serves as a hearty bed for the stew.
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, a 14-ounce can
- 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, each link pricked several times
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14- to 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- Bring barley, 3/4 cup broth, and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until it shimmers, then brown sausage, turning once, about 8 minutes, and transfer to a plate. Add onion, carrot, and celery to oil in pot, then reduce heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrot is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Mash 1/2 cup chickpeas with a fork on a plate. Add sausage with any juices on plate, mashed and whole chickpeas, tomatoes, and remaining cup broth, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sausage is cooked through and mixture is thickened, about 6 minutes.