Provided by: Woman's Day
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil, letting ends extend above pan. Lightly coat foil in pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the sugar and a pinch of the cinnamon in a small bowl and reserve.
- In a medium bowl mix flour and remaining sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in egg yolk until evenly blended. Press dough firmly into prepared pan. Brush with egg white until moistened (you won’t use all of it). Sprinkle with almonds, then the reserved sugar mixture, gently pressing them into the dough.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Lift from pan by ends of foil onto cutting board. Cut into 21/4 x 1-inch bars. Remove from foil to rack to cool completely.
- Handle these fragile cookies with care when wrapping.