Lemon Raspberry Parfaits
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
This dessert requires a bit of effort, but it's a must for lemon lovers. Lightly sweetened whipped cream and crunchy, buttery crumbs contrast with a tangy lemon custard. Sometimes old fashioned ways work best -- crushing the wafers with a rolling pin is the best way to get beautifully uniform wafer crumbs.
- FOR THE CRUMBS:
- 24 vanilla wafers
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE CUSTARD:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, for dusting
- FOR ASSEMBLY:
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- Make the crumbs:
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.
- Coarsely crush vanilla wafers between sheets of plastic wrap with a rolling pin or bottom of a heavy skillet, then stir together with butter and salt in a bowl. Spread mixture on a baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Cool on sheet, then break up with a fork.
- Make the custard:
Stir together yolks in a small bowl. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small heavy saucepan. Slowly whisk in water and milk, then whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently as mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and gradually whisk about 1/2 cup milk mixture into yolks, then whisk yolk mixture into pan. Add lemon zest and juice and simmer, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until incorporated. Transfer custard to a metal bowl, then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and stir custard until cooled to room temperature. Cover surface with wax paper to prevent a skin from forming.
- Make the topping:
Beat cream and confectioners sugar with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Assemble parfaits:
Reserve 2 teaspoons crumbs and 4 raspberries for garnishing all parfaits. Assemble one parfait in layers using a total of 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon custard, 1/4 cup raspberries, a rounded 1/4 cup crumbs and one fourth of whipped cream. Assemble 3 more parfaits, then top with reserved crumbs and raspberries. Serve parfaits at room temperature or chilled.
- Make ahead: Assembled parfaits may be made 3 hours ahead and kept refrigerated, uncovered.