Lemony Broccoli Tempura Spears
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Tempura mix is a great foil to help kids learn to love their veggies. Extra long cuts of broccoli make it fun to dip and dunk these tender spears into a seasoned soy sauce. Lemon zest grated right into the tempura batter adds a brightness to this fried dish.
- Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Tempura Ingredients:
- 1 large head broccoli, trimmed and cut into long spears
- 2 cups tempura mix
- 1 1/2 cups seltzer (instead of water, as noted on the box)
- zest of 1 lemon
- vegetable oil for frying
- Gather these tools: cutting board; chef's knife; wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, small and large mixing bowls, spoon, microplane or zester, stockpot or Dutch oven for frying, spider or slotted spoon, candy thermometer, sheet pan with paper towels.
- First combine all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside. In an 8-quart stockpot or Dutch oven with a candy thermometer attached, heat oil over medium heat to reach 375F.
- To make the tempura batter, whisk the tempura mix and seltzer in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined and all lumps have been removed. Add the lemon zest to the tempura batter and mix just to combine.
- Working with three pieces of broccoli at a time, dip the broccoli spears into the tempura batter to fully coat. Holding the end of one broccoli stalk, remove from the batter and allow excess batter to drip off before placing in the oil. Then place the head of the broccoli stalk 1 inch deep into the oil while still holding the stem. Hold for three seconds and then gently release (to avoid sticking to the bottom on the pan). Repeat with remaining two broccoli spears.
- With a spider or slotted spoon, gently turn each piece of broccoli in the oil after about 30 seconds and cook until the tempura coating is light brown and the broccoli is cooked crisp tender, about 90 seconds. Remove the spears to a sheet pan lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining spears, in batches of three. Continue to adjust heat in order to maintain an oil temperature of 375F.
- Serve the broccoli tempura immediately with the dipping sauce.