Mango Glazed Salmon with Baby Spinach and Cherry Tomato Salad
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into medium chunks
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Salmon:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon filets, skin and bones removed
- For the Salad:
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- PREPARE THE GLAZE:
- Place a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and saute the shallot and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno chili and cumin and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mango and agave nectar and simmer until the liquid is reduced slightly, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- PUREE MANGO GLAZE:
- Transfer the mango mixture to the blender jar.
- Puree the mixture until smooth, adding a little water if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and reserve.
- PREPARE THE SALMON:
- Preheat the broiler. Line a heavy baking sheet with foil.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add the oil to the hot pan.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides and place the salmon filets, meaty side down, in the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute on this side or until golden brown and then turn the salmon over. Transfer the salmon fillets to the prepared baking sheet.
- GLAZE SALMON:
- Spoon a generous amount of the mango glaze over each filet.
- Broil the salmon for 4 minutes or until the fish is medium rare and the glaze has caramelized slightly over the fish.
- Remove the fish from the oven and let rest for 2 minutes.
- PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Place the spinach in a large bowl.
- Using a mandolin, shave thin slices of onion over the spinach, then add the tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk lemon juice and slowly add the olive oil while whisking.
- Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with enough of the vinaigrette to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE:
- Place the glazed salmon filet on 4 individual serving plates.
- Mound the salad alongside each filet, drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette over and around the salmon and serve.