Maple Yogurt Coffee Cake with Blueberries
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Diane Forley
total prep 475 calories/serving
The maple syrup creates a wonderful aroma.
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup barley flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal or ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic whole cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Butter or spray 2 4 x 2 1/2 x 8 loaf cake pans, or one 12 cup bundt cake pan with non stick spray and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour. In a small bowl, sift together flours, flax seed meal, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat butter with maple syrup and sugar on low speed until softened. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until blended. Alternately add flour mixture and yogurt into the butter mixture. Spoon ½ of the batter into each of the two loaf pans. Scatter blueberries on top. Sprinkle with half the topping. Fill pans with remaining batter and top with rest of topping.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the cake tests clean when pierced with a skewer or paring knife.