Mexican Chicken-in-a-Pot Soup
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
total prep 191 calories/serving
Use a rotisseries - cooked chicken for a great head start. Turn it into something wonderful with sautéed onions, green peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, tomatoes and lime juice. Swanson® Chicken Broth pulls it all together.
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large onion , coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large green pepper , coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves , crushed
- 7 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth
- Natural Goodness™ or Certified Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes , undrained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Hot cooked rice
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred about half of the chicken meat using 2 forks or pull apart with your fingers to yield about 2 cups.
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, garlic, cumin and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir in the broth and tomatoes. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the lime juice. Spoon rice into each of 6 serving bowls. Ladle the soup over each serving of rice.