Mexican Snowdrop Cookies
Provided by: Kathleen Hackett
With a dusting of icy blue and white sanding sugar, these classic holiday cookies glisten like freshly fallen snow.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup mix of light blue and white sanding sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine the flour and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in a bowl and set aside. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter until pale yellow and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the flour mixture gradually until incorporated. Add the pecans and mix until the dough is studded throughout.
- Working with 2 teaspoonsful of dough at a time, roll it into a ball and place on a cookie sheet. Continue with remaining dough. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the remaining powdered sugar on a shallow plate. Roll the warm cookies into the powdered sugar and let cool. Set the powdered sugar aside. On a second plate spread the sanding sugar mix. Roll the cooled cookies in the powdered sugar again, followed by a roll in the sanding sugar. Transfer to a tray and repeat with remaining cookies.