Mixed Berry Hobo Packs with Grilled Pound Cake
Provided by: Food&Wine
Berries grilled in a foil pack are delicious with everything from ice cream to grilled pound cake. Plus: F&W's Grilling Guide Dessert Tips from F&W Editors
- 1 pound(s) mixed strawberries and blueberries, strawberries halved or quartered if large 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon(s) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices of pound cake
- Créme fraîche or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- 1. Light a grill. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch. Spoon 1/4 tablespoon of the butter in the center of each sheet of foil and top with the fruit. Bring 2 sides of the foil up over the fruit and fold to form a seam across the top. Fold the remaining 2 sides to seal the hobo packs completely.
- 2. Grill the hobo packs over moderate heat until the fruit is sizzling, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter on the pound cake and grill on both sides just until toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer to plates. Open the hobo packs and pour the berries and juices over the pound cake. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or ice cream.