Moroccan Beef Saute
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 319 calories/serving
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces), quartered lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 11/2 cups water
- 1 medium tomato, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) chick-peas, drained
- 1/3 cup lightly packed cilantro, chopped
- Cook ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add zucchini to skillet and stir until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile put onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Add oil, vinegar, curry powder, cinnamon, salt, pepper and sugar; process until a paste. Add onion mixture and beef to zucchini. Stir until boiling.
- Stir in water and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato and chick-peas and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve this speedy main dish over quick-cooking couscous, rice or noodles.