Moroccan Beef Skewers with Yogurt and Couscous
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- For Skewers:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 ounces plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (12-inch) branches fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- For Couscous:
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain couscous
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For Sauce:
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- PREPARE SKEWERS:
- Preheat the barbecue grill or indoor grill pan with medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, garlic, cilantro, parsley, allspice, cumin, and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Mix in the egg until fully combined and season with salt and pepper.
- FORM SKEWERS:
- Divide the meat mixture evenly into 8 sausage-shaped balls.
- Remove all of the rosemary leaves from the stems leaving about an inch of the leaves at the top of the stem.
- Slide the end of a rosemary skewer into a meatball and gently mold it to keep a sausage shape, packing it tightly with your hand.
- The meat should be shaped like a sausage with two flat sides.
- Repeat with remaining meat and skewers.
- GRILL SKEWERS:
- Drizzle a little olive oil over each meat skewer and grill for about 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Remove skewers from the grill to a plate and let rest for 3 minutes.
- WHILE SKEWERS GRILL, MAKE COUSCOUS:
- Combine the stock, cilantro, cumin, and salt in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the couscous and stir to blend.
- Cover the pan tightly and let it stand until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and mix in the olive oil. Season with pepper to taste and cover to keep warm.
- WHILE COUSCOUS STEAMS, MAKE SAUCE:
- Peel, seed, and cut the cucumber into a small dice.
- Mix the yogurt in a small mixing bowl with the cucumber and dill.
- Grate the lemon zest and squeeze the lemon juice into the yogurt mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- TO SERVE:
- Spoon the couscous evenly onto the center of 4 serving plates.
- Place two skewers next to each mound of couscous and top with a dollop of the yogurt sauce.
- Squeeze the lemon over the skewers and serve immediately.