Mushroom Bacon Tart
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Crisp, salty bacon and earthy mushrooms will keep guests coming back for more of this savory tart. Purchased pastry makes it a breeze to prepare.
- 2 (9-inch) packaged pastry rounds
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms
- 8 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Equipment: a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan
- Line baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on short sides. Unroll pastry and overlap rounds by 4 inches on a lightly floured working surface. Brush overlap area of bottom pastry round lightly with water, then press overlapping areas together.
- Roll out pastry to form a rough rectangle (about 19- by 13-inches), then cut to a 15- by 12-inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick). Fit pastry into pan, trimming edges to leave about 3/4-inch-high sides. Lightly prick bottom and sides all over with a fork and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack in middle.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over dried mushrooms and soak until softened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Line pastry shell with foil and fill with pie weights or 2 cups dried beans. Bake until sides are set and edges are pale golden, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove foil and weights carefully and bake until bottom is light golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool pastry shell in pan on a rack.
- Drain mushrooms in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl, squeezing mushrooms, and reserve liquid. Rinse mushrooms to remove any grit, then squeeze out excess water and chop.
- Preheat oven to 325F with rack in middle.
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, then transfer to paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet, then cook fresh mushrooms and onion with a large pinch of salt over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. (Use vegetable oil if not enough fat in skillet.) Stir in garlic, then add dried mushrooms with soaking liquid and briskly simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is totally evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in bacon and scatter evenly over crust.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, sage, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, then pour over bacon mixture. Bake until custard is just set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool tart in pan on a rack 30 minutes. Carefully lift out of pan using foil as an aid, then cut into 50 pieces (each about 1 1/2- by 1 1/4-inch). Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Make ahead: Filling (without custard) can be made 1 day ahead and chilled once cooled. Reheat before proceeding with recipe. Pastry can be rolled out and baked 1 day ahead and kept, covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- Tart can be baked 3 hours ahead and cooled completely, then kept loosely covered with plastic wrap at room temperature.