Nilla Ice Cream Pie
Nilla Ice Cream Pie
Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Nilla Wafers make an easy and delicious crust to this quick ice cream pie. Any flavor ice cream you like will do. The homemade caramel sauce can be made up to one week in advance of assembling the pie, stored in the refrigerator.
- Pie Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups ground Nilla wafers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 quart vanilla toffee crunch, coffee, or chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 English toffee bars (such as Heath, Skor, or Daim), broken into pieces
- Carmel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, dry and wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, medium saucepan, rubber spatula, food processor, 8- or 9-inch pie dish, offset spatula
- To make the crust, combine the Nilla Wafer(tm) crumbs, sugar, and butter. Using a rubber spatula, press the crumb mixture firmly and on the bottom and side of an 8- or 9-inch pie dish. Freeze the crust for 20 minutes before filling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel sauce. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to boil, stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to medium and boil until dark brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt (be careful as the hot mixture will bubble). Cook for another minute. Set aside.
- Remove the pie shell from the freezer and drizzle half the caramel sauce over the crust. With an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the ice cream to fill the crust. Sprinkle evenly with the English toffee pieces and drizzle with 1/4 cup of remaining caramel sauce.
- Return the pie to the freezer for 6 hours up to overnight. Chill the caramel sauce in the refrigerator and reheat when ready to serve the pie. Serve the pie in slices with a few spoonfuls of the warm caramel sauce.