Pan Roasted Cod with Chickpeas and Chorizo
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 4 6-ounce cod fillets, boneless, skin on
- Sea salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 15.5oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup smalled cubed Spanish chorizo
- 3 4 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse fish under cold running water and pat dry with paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick saute pan over high heat. Add olive oil. When the pan is very hot place fish skin side down in the pan and press down with a spatula to crisp the skin. Cook for 2-3 minutes then remove and set aside (you only want to sear it on the skin side and not cook it through at this stage).
- To the same saute pan add a little more olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute for 7-8 minutes until caramelized and brown. Add cubed chorizo and marjoram then saute for 2 more minutes. Deglaze with sherry vinegar then add chickpeas. Add chicken stock, season with salt and pepper then bring to a simmer. Carefully pour the chickpea mixture into a medium sized gratin dish. Top with fillets of crispy fish, skin-side up. Drizzle with a little olive oil, cover with foil and place in oven to braise for 20 minutes until fish is tender and flakes easily with a fork. Remove from oven, discard foil and shower with parsley before serving.